Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Suds for your Duds



For the first few weeks of living in the new apartment, we didn't have a washer and dryer. However, after running out of clean clothes and doing some laundry at the parents' house, we gave into convenience and rented a set.

Because I spent eight months living with my parents, I never once needed to buy detergent or dryer sheets. But I happened to have just enough laundry detergent left for two loads from my previous apartment.

During this transition time, I remembered I had bookmarked a post from Dometic Cents about homemade laundry detergent.

The recipe she found here is very simple:
  • 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
  • 1 bar grated Ivory soap
Obviously the ivory soap was easy to find (about $2 for 3 bars*). I was surprised to find 20 Mule Team Borax so easily -- it was on the aisle with other laundry detergent (about $4 for a 76 oz box*). Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda was a little more difficult. I ended up doing a search and finding a 55 oz box for $2.99* from the fantastic online store Alice.

About a week ago, I attempted to make half a batch so I could do laundry right away. Turns out I didn't have a cheese grater. So one serrated knife and a several hand cuts later, I had enough detergent to do some laundry. 

It worked! My laundry came out smelling fresh and clean.

I have since acquired a grater and made a full batch with plenty of ingredients to spare for the future. And thanks to Domestic Cents, I also have a recipe for dishwasher detergent (which uses some of the same ingredients) once my current supply runs out.

Side Note: All the packaging for my ingredients is paper-based. No plastics. And each will last much longer than buying new detergent all the time. Less waste! I simply store my supply of homemade detergent in a reusable container. And, of course, stick with cool water to avoid using that extra energy when washing clothes.

*Revision: Added approximate prices of ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment