Wednesday, June 16, 2010

When To Buy Organic

As someone committed to living more environmentally-friendly, organic foods are a natural step. I didn’t think I’d be one of those people unless I suddenly had lots of extra disposable income.

Well, I don’t have spare funds lying around, but I am making an effort to buy more organic.

Here are my determining factors when deciding between regular vs. organic:
1)      Not a huge cost difference. I don’t mind to pay a little extra (say less than $1), but I cannot afford to pay too much more than usual.
2)      Organic produce seems more authentic. These are crops you know are directly from the earth, so the less tampered with, the better.
3)      It could just be my imagination, but organic fruits (at least the bananas and strawberries I’ve tried) seem to have MUCH more flavor.
4)      Trader Joe’s and most farmers markets offer many organic products at nearly the same price as non-organic alternatives. Plus, at a farmers market, you’re supporting local farmers.

I may not be able to make sweeping changes, but I can do my part to support quality produce.

2 comments:

  1. You need to hit up the Dekalb Farmer's Market! Claire went and she said it was FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do. I've been meaning to go for a while — just need to find the time!

    ReplyDelete