Monday, June 28, 2010

What are you wearing on your face?


These days, most women wear makeup of some sort. Unlike the foods we eat, many of us do not pay attention to the ingredients of products we use on our skin. So how do you know what you're putting on your skin?

Skin Deep is a cosmetic database where you can look up specific products and find out what is in them and how dangerous these ingredients might be.

For instance, CoverGirl Classic Color Blush, Natural Glow has a hazard score of 8 (out of 10). According to Skin Deep, this is one of the worst blushes on the market. It claims ingredients have been linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity and allergies, aside from just plain ol' irritation of the skin, eyes and lungs.

Like I said when I wrote about ingredients in shampoo, I am no scientist and I don't have a lot of knowledge about what some of these ingredients can do. But I do know my skin and health are not anything to take for granted.

Last month, I took a trip to Sephora with my friend Shannon. She is a recent convert to "real" makeup (which you can read about here), and I decided to investigate my options for more healthy/eco-friendly makeup.

I ended up buying a Bare Escentuals bareMinerals foundation starter kit. For $60, it included a sample of foundation primer, three brushes, two shades of mineral foundation, warmth face color, a mineral veil and an instructional DVD.

Although, this makeup probably isn't perfect either, it has less of the "bad stuff." I also have noticed an improvement in the texture of my skin since switching, and that works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment