Saturday, January 22, 2011

DIY: Necklace holder

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but life sure has gotten busy!

Over Thanksgiving, I noticed a my mom's necklace holder hanging on the wall. She made it with wine corks glued to a wooden board — I knew I just had to have one.

I already had a vase full of wine corks, and previously, my necklaces were all hanging from one hook so I couldn't see them all.

Here is the result:

Sorry for the photo quality. Camera phone...

It's super easy to make. All you need are a bunch of corks, a wooden board, some thumbtacks, a couple wall hooks, a few nails or screws and some craft glue.

First, insert screws or nails into each end of the board. Then map out where you want each cork to go, and glue them to one side. Once the glue has had plenty of time to dry, screw hooks into the wall to hold up the nails on either end. You'll likely need one more nail or screw to go into the middle of the backside of the board to hold it an adequate distance from the wall; otherwise the corks will end up facing downward. Finally place the thumbtacks where you'd like to hand your necklaces or other jewelry.

So easy!

2 comments:

  1. What a great DIY, Melanie! I love the idea of using corks instead of throwing them away. I really want to try this soon (maybe as a hat display or something). It'll give me an excuse to buy some more wine .. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JoAnn! Yeah, I got excited when I saw my mom's cause I'd already been saving my corks. Now I get to put them on display and use them every day!

    ReplyDelete